One of our primary responsibilities as parents and carers is to keep our children safe from sexual abuse. One way of protecting them is to give them knowledge and tools that they can use to help keep themselves safe.
The ConverSafe tools were developed by specialist sexual abuse counsellor, Esha Johnson, who has had both personal and professional experience of the emotional trauma that results from abuse. She designed ConverSafe to assist parents and carers to help them as they have those sometimes difficult, uncomfortable but necessary conversations about body boundaries, safe relationships and self-awareness.
Over a series of workbooks ConverSafe aims to raise children’s awareness about how to keep their body safe by:
- Encouraging children to openly explore and talk about their feelings
- Help children to understand the importance of boundaries
- Give children a voice
- Develop children’s confidence
- Increase children’s self-esteem
- Help children understand they have rights and choices
- Help children to Identify safe trusted adults who can offer them support when they need it
- Most importantly, ConverSafe encourages quality fun time between parent/carer and child as they get to know more about each other
Protecting Children From Abuse ConverSafe Workbook 1
Protecting Children From Abuse ConverSafe Workbook 1 – What ‘Safe’ Means. Esha Johnson has recently released her first Children’s Therapeutic Activity Book. This book is for parents, carers, teachers, foster carers, social workers, counsellors, indeed any practitioner working with children. It is to be completed together with the child.
It contains 22 fun activities that teach children how to keep themselves safe from abuse. One of our primary responsibilities as parents and carers is to keep our children safe from sexual abuse. One way of protecting them is to give them knowledge and tools that they can use to help keep themselves safe.
This workbook also comes with a guidance booklet that explains how to work with a child to complete the activities and get the most out of it. It will also give you useful hints and tips along the way.